Tuesday, February 11, 2014

getting back into the swing of things...

Hey all...Just like falling off a bike...you fall off, scrape your knee and get back on.  And so it goes with blogging...its been a while and I'm a bit rusty, but still kicking!


Here we go---late last fall, I made about 125 fused glass pendants.  I signed up for a craft show and just knew that I was going to sell all of them!  Really?  Not.  There were two other people selling fused glass jewelry, eleven others selling various styles of jewelry and a total of 25 crafters participating.  Okey dokey, then.  I have to say, though, it was fun to get out.  But, I only sold 5 pendants.  BOOOOO!  Ya know, I could have found other venues to sell my pendants or I could have put them in a couple of galleries that I know of, but I chose to put them in my backpack and take them with me everywhere I went.  I gave all of them away.  I probably started the first part of November...it was almost a bit awkward for me.  When you approach stranger to give them a gift, they have a tendency to look at you like you're crazy.  At first, I would watch people to see who was doing what, who maybe seemed like they would appreciate a gift.  I had people look at me and say nothing at all, there were a few that told me they would pass on a random act of kindness, some were totally shocked, I received hugs and there were a couple of tears.  I gave them to teenage girls, mothers, older women and there were some men.  I was asked why I was doing this (giving them away) and one person asked me what was wrong with them.  There were a few people who would not accept them and did not even open the box.  (they were all in boxes, so when I handed one to a person, I would just wish them a Merry Christmas).  I couldn't imagine that it would be as hard as it was to give them away.  But I did.  At the drug store, pet store, book shop, mall, beauty shop, coffee shop and deli...and many more.  I learned a lot about human nature and I know that there are many truly nice and pleasant people still out there.  (insert smile!)

The two on the right are leftovers.  I kept the longer one.  I use dichroic glass when I make the pendants.  It  reflects and transmits colors differently when you change angles.  It's pretty neat!

Here are some other easy peasy memory wire bracelets that I made.  I was focusing more on the color combinations that anything else.  I really like using African trade beads.  They are very organic and earthy.




This bracelet took quite a while to make.  I haven't counted how many wrapped dangles are on this...there's a lot!  It is a late (very) Christmas present for a good friend of mine.  I know she will love it.  These are her colors!  ; }  There are Swarovski pearls, freshwater pearls and tourmaline.  I love tourmaline!



Well, that's all I have right now...I will see y'all later.  

Take Care,

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment