Thursday, April 4, 2013

It's Just Another Day...

It's my birthday.  No fanfare.  No presents.  My Aunt and cousins called and everyone sang Happy Birthday to me.  It was very thoughtful and kind.  But, that is the kind of people they are. 

Why do we make such a big deal about the day we were born?  Don't get me wrong...I LOVE ice cream and cake.  I usually the first one in line to get the corner piece with all of the frosting!  And where did that come from?  Ice cream and cake?  So, I wondered if you could search why and I googled that very question.  This is the answer that I got; "The birthday cake has come to be a symbol of the celebration of a birthday. This is for another new year in the person's life, and the cake is sort of like a good-luck thing. That's why the birthday boy / girl blows out the candles and makes a wish, and why they are supposed to cut the first slice (almost as if the cake is the new year in their life, and the first cut is to sort of bring that new year to life).
Also it tastes awesome."

But why not birthday pie or birthday fruit?  I guess it could be what ever you would want for the celebration.  Be creative!  Be different!

So how should today be?  Should I be happy?  I don't know about that...I turned 55.  I think that I am considered a senior citizen.  Does that mean I can get the senior discount at the restaurants?  Should I go to bed earlier?  I don't feel any different.  I don't look any different. 

Actually, I feel great!  OK, maybe not great, but better that usual.  I have been through a lot in the last year...back surgery in June, broke my femur (right above my knee replacement) in October and had a mild heart attack in November and had a heart ablation just this past January.   And being just 55, I am young for a knee replacement.  I actually had it when I was 48.  Twice.  Within eight months.  The first one failed (glue became loose, micro fractures of tibia, bone wore away and possible infection).  So, they had to do it again.  And with that, just about anything that could go wrong, did.  But, I am still here, still fighting. 

I am so ready for a quiet, stress free year.  I want to do stuff that I want to do.  Like take jewelry classes to learn techniques that I don't know or to brush up upon stuff that I think I know, but don't!  I am starting my quest on April 18.  There is an event in Columbus, Ohio called 'ARTISCAPE'.  They are having workshops in many different categories.  I signed up for 4 classes that weekend with the possibility of one more.  I asked a few of my friends if they would like to attend, but no one was available that weekend.  So, I am going by myself! 

So, enough of me blabbing on really about nothing.  Just the rants of a person one year older and hopefully one year wiser. 

Thanks for listening!
See you soon.
Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment